Thursday 5 April 2012

Off to see Dad!!

I'm currently on bus number two on my way to the gold coast airport to fly to Sydney and meet Dad. He landed yesterday and promises it's as gorgeous a day there as it is here on the coast. I think this is the longest I've gone without seeing one of my parents by 6 weeks....and I've been here for exactly two months now.  Updates: I've been hired at the university technology department. Thank you StFX And TSG for teaching me the skills I needed to apply for this job. It basically entails walking around checking tech equipment in classrooms and labs, helping to set up video conference an the occasional classroom emergency. Not the most fun or cool job in Australia, but how do you turn down $23.57/hour?? You don't. The people (let's be serious, I'm the only girl in the department), the men are friendly and know their stuff so I'm learning the ropes quickly. I'm getting about 12 hours a week and am guaranteed about two months. Which is perfect because that brings me up to the winter break here which is when I plan on doing some traveling outside Australia. Maybe I'll get hired back in September or I'll look for a new experience. I'll keep you posted.  I've been really busy with school lately trying to get assessments done before jetting off to see Dad. It's been stressful but worth it. Assessments I'm getting back I'm super happy with. So anyone who thinks StFx is just a party school, you're wrong. It's a school that totally prepared me for post graduate studies and to be at the top of my class at that! And I also learned how to achieve a superb work-life balance. Whig brings me to my social life. More specifically Surfer's Paradise. Surfer's I cab best describe as Toronto meets George Street meets the beach. It's fantastic. So many of my favourite things in one city. And such sick deals. On your birthday, if you arrange it up front you can get free entries and drinks and half prize drinks at other place and bar money at others. It's like a pub crawl on crack. Love it! Don't worry, school's keeping me busy. I've only been once.  Well I'm almost ready to head out to Sydney. I will update the world after Dad leaves with all of our adventure stories.  Until next time, Alex  PS don't you love when the trip to the airport is as long if not longer than the flight you're about to take?!

1 comment:

  1. Well said fellow X grad! Can't wait to hear the stories...'X'om

    ReplyDelete