Tuesday 14 February 2012

Love notes from Mom

Before I left, it appears Mom made it her mission to hide as many love notes for me as possible. Most of them are the same. A small, pink heart with her famous “xom” note on it. So far, I have found 10. I thought I would take a moment and tell you where I’ve found them. I found the first one in the pocket of a skirt I put on the morning I moved into my house. I had been having a rough morning and pulling out the note helped put a smile on my face. This one was stuck to a $5 bill with the note “have a drink on me! xom”. The next couple fell out of my suitcases when I unpacked my clothes. The next one I found in my floss container – it was a tight squeeze! Now the next I found one I was waiting at the bus stop with three bags of school supplies and orange juice and the bus was 40 minutes late at this point. I had put my iPod in my pocket and I went to take it out to change the song and then the heart came out as well “xom”. And didn’t the bus turn up a few minutes later.

I don’t know how you do it Mom, but you’ve managed to lift my spirits several times now from the other side of the world! So lovely! And totally her way of reminding me that I can never truly leave home. Two weeks ago, this would have annoyed me. Today, I am more than grateful!

Speaking of connections to home, I had a lovely visit with Sean Carson on Sunday. I had dinner with the Carson’s three weeks before I left for Australia. During dinner, I found out that Sean was leaving for Brisbane 3 days after I did!!! Obviously I stuck him with a bag (filled with makeup, nail polish, dresses, shoes – everything an adult male travels with) and made arrangements to meet up when he had a free day. So Sunday afternoon Sean and his friend came and picked me up. They drove me around and showed me some sights near by. We had lunch and a beer by the water and GOT GROCERIES!!! After living of pasta and tomato paste for a few days, this was a welcome adventure.

We spent the afternoon together and went our own ways. Although I had seen Emma already, it was still different. Knowing that Sean left home after I did and I saw him here was such a nice feeling. I’ve always known that people could get to me if I needed them to, but I was feeling REALLY far away from home. I’m smiling more, and getting overwhelmed a lot less now.

International Orientation started Monday, but it’s only a couple hours over the whole week. I’ve met a few people, but no solid relationships yet. That will come with class I’m sure!

Until next time,

Alex


 

1 comment: